Who we really are?

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Who we really are?


After watching Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" episode on the Philippines, his last question kept on resonating in my head.

"Who are we really," Mr. Bourdain said. He said he was a New Yorker first, then American second. He also suggested that the whole concept of national or ethnic identity is already quaint and might be getting outdated.

So I asked myself the same question, who am I really? I don't know myself. I'm a multi-faceted person who loves a lot of things, from math to the arts. I'm a proud Filipino but also do not prefer afritada or papaitan.

Is it really important anymore?

The question isn't limited to national or ethnic identity. More importantly, it is a question an individual should ask oneself. And I need to do this myself, fast. Especially since I'm turning a new chapter in my life.

I'm fast approaching my mid-twenties and I think I'm already having a quarter-life crisis. What do I really want? What career should I really pursue?

I think I need to take some time and think hard.

Think

2 barks:

Tammy said...

Emo!!!!

topdog said...

Emo no. Haha. Iba kasi mag-narrate si Anthony Bourdain e.